The course introduces the basics of Primatology, its methods, history and important
achievements in relation to human evolution. It also introduces the evolution of order primata,
the current primates with specific emphasis on their behaviour.
At the end of the course is expected to
- Understand the discipline of primatology
- Delineate the importance of primatology for anthropology
- Understand primates as a taxonomic group
- Describe primate diversity
- Understand the basics of Primate behaviour and its relationships to human behaviour
This course integrates the current knowledge about human evolution and diversity in the
subcontinent by integrating theories and data from Anthropology, Archaeology, Genetics
and Linguistics. Its emphasis lies on the current state of the knowledge and research
questions regarding Biological Anthropology of South Asia.